Spain’s government is turning up the pressure on the Museo Nacional Centro de Arte Reina Sofía over longstanding problems tied to its collection inventory, with lawmakers threatening consequences that could ultimately cost museum director Manuel Segade his job.
A parliamentary oversight committee in Spain recently passed a resolution demanding that the museum complete a full and updated inventory of its holdings by December 31, 2026, according to Le Journal des Arts. The measure, backed by Spain’s conservative Popular Party and supported by the far-right, passed by a vote of 20 to 13, while the ruling Socialist Party abstained.
In notably blunt language, lawmakers said that if the museum fails to comply by the deadline, Spain’s Ministry of Culture should remove Segade as director. The text also calls for a “total and absolute” audit of the museum’s holdings, including works on loan, deposited artworks, and pieces whose whereabouts remain unclear.
“The artworks held in the museum—as well as those belonging to it that cannot be duly located—can no longer be allowed to remain at risk,” representatives of the Popular Party reportedly stated during parliamentary debates.
The Reina Sofía, Spain’s national museum of modern and contemporary art, oversees more than 25,000 works, including pieces by Pablo Picasso, Salvador Dalí, and Joan Miró. Officials are now demanding not only a physical accounting of the works, but also updated financial valuations that align with Spain’s public accounting rules.
The scrutiny follows years of criticism from Spain’s Court of Auditors, which previously flagged weaknesses in the museum’s internal controls and difficulties tracking parts of the collection. According to the report, lawmakers also referenced a 2021 donation of artworks that can no longer be fully accounted for.
The controversy arrives only weeks after the Reina Sofía found itself at the center of another politically charged debate involving Picasso’s Guernica, when Spain’s culture minister rejected a request from Basque leaders to temporarily move the painting to Bilbao ahead of the 90th anniversary of the bombing of Guernica. Museum officials argued the work is too fragile to travel, though regional leaders have continued pressing for an independent feasibility study.
In a statement to Le Journal des Arts, the museum acknowledged the problems and said it is currently carrying out an “internal regularization process” related to inventory management, artwork valuation, and collection security. The institution also said it recently implemented a new digital management platform called “Artis,” intended to centralize records for loans, deposits, and the permanent collection in a single database.
Museum officials argued that many of the issues predate the current administration and stem from the integration of the former Spanish Museum of Contemporary Art into the Reina Sofía in 1988. According to the museum, that merger created discrepancies between inventories and left gaps in documentation that were never fully resolved.
