By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
BublikArt GalleryBublikArt Gallery
  • Current
  • Art News
  • Art Exhibitions
  • Artists
  • Art Collectors
  • Art Events
  • About
  • Collaboration
Search
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Judge Orders Reinstatement of Slavery Display at Washington’s House
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
BublikArt GalleryBublikArt Gallery
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Current
  • Art News
  • Art Exhibitions
  • Artists
  • Art Collectors
  • Art Events
  • About
  • Collaboration
  • Advertise
2024 © BublikArt Gallery. All Rights Reserved.
BublikArt Gallery > Blog > Art Collectors > Judge Orders Reinstatement of Slavery Display at Washington’s House
Art Collectors

Judge Orders Reinstatement of Slavery Display at Washington’s House

Irina Runkel
Last updated: 17 February 2026 19:22
Published 17 February 2026
Share
2 Min Read
SHARE


Comparing the Trump administration’s efforts to control historical documentation to George Orwell’s 1984, a federal judge ordered the return of displays that acknowledged George Washington’s ownership of enslaved people to a monument in Philadelphia.

Last month, the National Park Service removed the signs from the President’s House Site, the presidential residence for Washington and John Adams before the completion of the White House. The President’s House Site is part of the Independence National Historical Park, which is managed by the NPS. The removed exhibit described “the local history of slavery and commemorating the nine enslaved people Washington kept there while he was president,” according to the New York Times

Related Articles

The City of Philadelphia then sued the Interior Department and the National Park Service, with Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro filing an amicus brief in support of the city’s suit. On Monday, Judge Cynthia M. Rufe, of the US District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, granted a preliminary injunction ordering the return of the displays while the lawsuit plays out in court.

In response to the NPS’s claim that the displays were removed in the interest of “accuracy, honesty and alignment with shared national values,” Rufe, in her written opinion, quoted Orwell’s 1984: “All history was a palimpsest, scraped clean and reinscribed exactly as often as was necessary. In no case would it have been possible, once the deed was done, to prove that any falsification had taken place.”

She continued: “As if the Ministry of Truth in George Orwell’s 1984 now existed, with its motto ‘Ignorance is Strength,’ this Court is now asked to determine whether the federal government has the power it claims—to dissemble and disassemble historical truths when it has some domain over historical facts. It does not.”

After the legal mic-drop, the Times said the White House declined to comment.

You Might Also Like

Australian Police Catch Thief Behind Heist of Egyptian Artifacts

Anne-Claire Legendre Named Head of Institut du Monde Arabe

UNT Faculty Publish Open Letter Over Canceling of Victor Quiñonez Show

British Museum Explains Removal of ‘Palestinian’ from Some Wall Texts

Q&A With Paul Slocum, One of Digital Art’s First Champions

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
Previous Article Eugenio Viola Says Museo de Arte Moderno de Bogotá Ended His Contract Over Labor Issues Eugenio Viola Says Museo de Arte Moderno de Bogotá Ended His Contract Over Labor Issues
Next Article French diplomat to replace Jack Lang as head of Paris’s Arab World Institute – The Art Newspaper French diplomat to replace Jack Lang as head of Paris’s Arab World Institute – The Art Newspaper
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

BublikArt GalleryBublikArt Gallery
2024 © BublikArt Gallery. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Security
  • About
  • Collaboration
  • Contact
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?