By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
BublikArt GalleryBublikArt Gallery
  • Current
  • Art News
  • Art Exhibitions
  • Artists
  • Art Collectors
  • Art Events
  • About
  • Collaboration
Search
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Commission of Fine Arts Approves Trump’s Controversial Triumphal Arch
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
BublikArt GalleryBublikArt Gallery
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Current
  • Art News
  • Art Exhibitions
  • Artists
  • Art Collectors
  • Art Events
  • About
  • Collaboration
  • Advertise
2024 © BublikArt Gallery. All Rights Reserved.
BublikArt Gallery > Blog > Art Collectors > Commission of Fine Arts Approves Trump’s Controversial Triumphal Arch
Art Collectors

Commission of Fine Arts Approves Trump’s Controversial Triumphal Arch

Irina Runkel
Last updated: 22 May 2026 20:02
Published 22 May 2026
Share
2 Min Read
SHARE


President Donald Trump announced the idea of building a triumphal arch, modeled on Paris’s Arc de Triomphe, at a holiday party last December. At the time, he said that planning and construction of the proposed arch should be domestic policy chief Vince Haley’s “primary thing.”

The project’s architect, Nicolas Leo Charbonneau, a principal at the firm Harrison Design and leader of its “Sacred Architecture Studio,” told the New York Times that “the intent of the arch is a celebration in America of 250 years of greatness, freedom, and posterity, for which we can only thank the wisdom of our founders and God’s providence.”

Related Articles

The proposal was met with almost immediate pushback from the general public, as well as by military veterans (the 250-foot-tall arch would be cited on Memorial Circle in Arlington, Va., across the channel from Arlington National Cemetery) and historic preservationists. The deputy general counsel for the National Trust for Historic Preservation testified that the Trust is “extremely concerned about the location, the height, the scale, and the design of the proposed arch,” according to the Times. “Arlington National Cemetery is a living memorial that hosts hundreds of funeral services every month,” the deputy council, Elizabeth Merritt, said. “The arch, as proposed, would dominate the national cemetery.”

Despite these objections, the Commission of Fine Arts approved the plan, which includes golden eagles and a winged angel adorning the arch—decorative features that the panel had initially suggested removing in order to make the monument somewhat smaller.

All seven members of the Commission of Fine Arts were appointed by Trump between Jan. 8 and Jan. 27, 2026. The previous group of commissioners, which had been appointed by former President Joe Biden, was fired en masse in October 2025, ahead of a review of another one of Trump’s controversial construction projects, the White House ballroom.

You Might Also Like

Daniel Sikkema Found Guilty in Plot for Dealer Brent Sikkema’s Death

A Replica of a 4500-Year-Old Community Hall to Open at Stonehenge

Kiran Nadar Museum of Art Brings South Asian Art Survey to Christie’s London

White Stripes Star Jack White Is Showing Art at Damien Hirst’s Gallery

Elle Peréz Gets Personal with Next-Gen Collectors Changing Art World

Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Email Print
Previous Article Heffel’s spring sales, featuring rediscovered royal portrait and E.J. Hughes seascape, tally .2m – The Art Newspaper Heffel’s spring sales, featuring rediscovered royal portrait and E.J. Hughes seascape, tally $16.2m – The Art Newspaper
Next Article 17 New Artist Auction Records Set in May 2026 17 New Artist Auction Records Set in May 2026
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

BublikArt GalleryBublikArt Gallery
2024 © BublikArt Gallery. All Rights Reserved.
  • Privacy Policy
  • Security
  • About
  • Collaboration
  • Contact
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Lost your password?